Since this is the month of Cinco de Mayo, we thought enchiladas would be a perfect recipe to add to your dinner repertoire! This is a quick and easy recipe that you can whip up for a weeknight dinner the family will love. Packed with protein, you won’t even miss the tortillas! Plus, you can prep the entire dish ahead of time for a quick option to stick in the oven after a long day of work. Delicioso!
- Combine xanthan gum and all sauce spices into a small bowl
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium high heat for 2-3 minutes, until it starts to sizzle when you sprinkle a bit of the spice mixture on top
- Pour spice and xanthan gum mixture into oil while whisking vigorously
- Continue to whisk for a minute or so, until mixture begins to darken
- Whisk in tomato paste and chicken broth until fully combined
- Bring mixture to a simmer and continue cooking for 5 minutes to allow sauce to thicken (turn heat down slightly if it begins to comes to a full boil)
- Remove from heat and stir in vinegar
Set aside while you assemble enchiladas
Note: Pre-cook chicken ahead of time in oven, microwave, or slow cooker. Let cool and shred.
Recipe Hack: Use store bought rotisserie chicken for easy prep!
- Preheat oven to 350℉
- Lightly grease 13x9 casserole dish with oil to prevent sticking
- Portion out ½ cup of the shredded cheese
- Mix chicken, salt, pepper, onion, and ¼ cup of the enchilada sauce in a medium bowl
- Lay out deli chicken slice and fill with chicken mixture (don’t overfill to make rolling easier)
- Top filling with some of the portioned out cheese and carefully roll up chicken slice around the filling
- Place in casserole dish with seam side down
- Continue filling remaining chicken slices, topping with cheese, and placing in dish
- Pour remaining enchilada sauce over all enchiladas in casserole dish
- Top with remaining ½ cup of cheese
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and sauce is sizzling
- Garnish with cilantro, sour cream, and fresh squeezed lime juice